Skip to main content

The Platypus Reads Part XI


The recent flap over "The Golden Compass" has set me to thinking: what makes for an excellent piece of Science Fiction/Fantasy. In the case of "His Dark Materials" and "The Chronicles of Narnia," both series have been criticized as propaganda pieces for the author's respective world-views; Atheism and Christianity. Some opponents of the works, if I understand them correctly, claim that the artistry of these books is diminished or the enjoyment of them poisoned by the authors' attempts to use them as platforms for communicating their ideas/beliefs.

This seems puzzling to me. After all, each book that comes out of an author's head carries in it the image of the author that produced it. The author may ignore them, or try deliberately to hide them, but his/her core beliefs and ideas are going to come through in some form. Beyond that, many authors intend for their ideas to come through in their work as a way of dialogging with their audience. Last time I checked, free speech is not considered poor taste. American society worships free-speech even in those cases where we find ourselves attempting to squelch it.

Is this what the critics are objecting to? I think not. Rather, it seems as if what they are protesting is some sort of deception on the part of the authors; an occulting of their messages in an attempt to brainwash their readers. This is felt to be particularly grievous as the target audience of both "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "His Dark Materials" are children. If this were the case, these works might be grievous indeed! A quick survey of the public record, however, shows that both authors have been more than open about their respective worldviews. Goggle either "Lewis" or "Pullman" and you will find instantly that lewis was a passionate Christian and Pullman is a passionate Atheist. You will also find many statements from the authors regarding their intents in writing their respective books. So why all the flap? Perhaps it's that we as Americans have lost the ability to interact, or let our children interact, with ideas with which we disagree.

I have just finished reading with my wife a book that I very much enjoy and that I very much disagree with: Frank Herbert's "Dune." Over the weeks to come, I plan to discuss this book in what I hope is something like a positive model of how to interact with books by authors with whom we disagree.

P.S. The image is from the cover of the Sci-Fi Channel's adaptation of Frank Herbert's "Dune." I highly recommend it, but be aware that it may contain offensive materials, especially the extended edition.

Comments

Linds said…
I didn't so much dislike The Golden Compass for its message as I disliked it for the hamfisted nature in which that message was presented - I don't quite get the same thing from Narnia. it feels more organic from the story. Maybe I'm projecting my beliefs on one and not the other, but there it is. :)
James said…
I haven't read the golden compass yet, so I can't weigh in. However, that seems to be the distinction the people I know who have read both are making. -so you're not alone by any means!
Marcy said…
Yes, I haven't read The Golden Compass yet either, but I've heard: a) sloppy arguments are presented, and b) the story's pretty good, but not so much in the sequels.

Popular posts from this blog

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane: The Platypus Reads Part CCLII

I needed a break from A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (too many authors and too many styles coming in too fast) so I decided to turn back to an author whose work I've enjoyed exploring: Robert E. Howard.  This time, however, I decided to skip over Howard's famous Conan yarns and instead take a look at one of his earlier creations, Solomon Kane.  The idea of a puritan occult detective was too intriguing to pass up.  I have the whole collection of Kane's tales and I do intend to blog them all.  Right now, my little literary detour has only encompassed the first two short stories so I'm going to record my thoughts on them right away and get back to the rest as I have time. Skulls in the Stars Solomon Kane makes his debut with this classic bit of English Gothic including a haunted moor, a vengeful ghost, and a solitary miser.   Howard's Kane fits the portrait of the archetypal puritan: grim, principled, metaphysical, with an iron sense of right and wrong.  I h...

A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (Cont.): The Platypus Reads Part CCLI

Wow, it's hard to read anthologies at anything other than a slow crawl.  The change from author to author and style to style is exhausting.  Slowing down is a good thing, though, if it makes time for reflection.  That seems like one good reason to create an anthology: to force readers to slow down and reflect. With that as a preamble, let's move on to today's selections. The Black Ferris by Ray Badbury I didn't expect to see this Sci-Fi heavy hitter in a Fantasy collection, but there you go.  I've tried to get into Bradbury once or twice and failed.  His Martian Chronicles , in particular, resisted all my best efforts.  This short story, however, worked like a charm.  The sense of atmosphere in particular is masterfully done (a sort of Tom Sawyer strays into Edgar Allan Poe).  My only complaint is that there isn't more of it, but apparently Bradbury already fixed that by expanding the story into Something Wicked This Way Comes. This raise...

My Broken Wings: The Platypus Watches Trinity Blood

My questions were not all answered.  That's par for the course when dealing with anime.  Most anime is based on manga.  That means that an immense amount of plot and character development from a 24+ volume series must be condensed into 24 30 minute episodes.  In many cases, the anime is produced before the manga is even finished.  Thus, not having a satisfactory conclusion to an anime series is par for the course.  Most times, I accept this and shrug it off.  In the case of "Trinity Blood," however, I found its incomplete ending oddly fitting.  Let me explain. "Trinity Blood" is chiefly about brokenness.  The ending song with its chorus of "my broken wings" gives it away.  The setting, a post-apocalyptic Europe, gives it away as well.  In fact, every one of the characters in the world of "Trinity Blood" is broken in some way.  We see a young Pope, broken by the political machinations of his older siblings.  We see a y...