Skip to main content

The Platypus Reads Part XIX

In honor of Michael Ward's groundbreaking new book, "Planet Narnia," I've decided to post my own seven heavens of summer reading. Each book is selected to follow the virtues of a particular planet in Medieval cosmology.

Jupiter: The Trojan War by Barrey Strauss

This is a master-work that blurs the line between history and novel in the vein of Jonnathan Spence's Treason by the Book. Strauss combines the evidence from latest dig at Hisarlik with Homer's text, and a strong, swift human sympathy to create a narrative overflowing with regal tragedy. The strong narrative structure makes for a very pleasant summer read that won't bog you down in a mire of scholarly prose.

Mars: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice-Burrows

In keeping with its title, this book overflows with Martial virtues. It's also a quick read, and a nice, refreshing break from today's 700+ page sci-fi behemoths.

Sol: The Book of Lost Tales Volume II by J.R.R. Tolkien

For those interested in achieving a state of scholarly heaven this summer, I can't stress the value of reading the "Lost Tales" enough. They are a Tolkien scholar's dream come true, allowing the reader a peak into Tolkien's world at the instant of its creation.

Luna: The Marble Faun by Nathaniel Hawthorne

As proper to a descendant of the Puritans, this book is about sin. Set among the decaying remains of ancient Rome and the decadence of nineteenth century Italy, Hawthorne explores the interplay between the immutable stone archetypes of his setting and the all too mutable human hearts of his characters in a reenactment of the Fall of Man.

Mercury: The Odyssey by Homer

The original "return of the king." Homer presents us with an intricately woven tale of a lost heart seeking its true home.

Venus: Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Weadon et al.

Those who have seen Firefly know that Joss Weadon's space opera is pretty far from your standard sci-fi shoot-em-up. At the core of the work are the bonds of love that develop between the members of the "created family" that make Serenity their home. Of course, it's got plenty of romance too.

Saturn: Hellboy by Mike Mignola et al.

You know that you've found the book of catastrophes when the main character's destiny is to end the world with his big red right hand. However, it also possesses that other most Saturnine characteristic of being one of the few comic books that makes me really sit down and think.

How about you? What are your "seven heavens" of summer reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane: The Platypus Reads Part CCLII

I needed a break from A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (too many authors and too many styles coming in too fast) so I decided to turn back to an author whose work I've enjoyed exploring: Robert E. Howard.  This time, however, I decided to skip over Howard's famous Conan yarns and instead take a look at one of his earlier creations, Solomon Kane.  The idea of a puritan occult detective was too intriguing to pass up.  I have the whole collection of Kane's tales and I do intend to blog them all.  Right now, my little literary detour has only encompassed the first two short stories so I'm going to record my thoughts on them right away and get back to the rest as I have time. Skulls in the Stars Solomon Kane makes his debut with this classic bit of English Gothic including a haunted moor, a vengeful ghost, and a solitary miser.   Howard's Kane fits the portrait of the archetypal puritan: grim, principled, metaphysical, with an iron sense of right and wrong.  I h...

A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (Cont.): The Platypus Reads Part CCLI

Wow, it's hard to read anthologies at anything other than a slow crawl.  The change from author to author and style to style is exhausting.  Slowing down is a good thing, though, if it makes time for reflection.  That seems like one good reason to create an anthology: to force readers to slow down and reflect. With that as a preamble, let's move on to today's selections. The Black Ferris by Ray Badbury I didn't expect to see this Sci-Fi heavy hitter in a Fantasy collection, but there you go.  I've tried to get into Bradbury once or twice and failed.  His Martian Chronicles , in particular, resisted all my best efforts.  This short story, however, worked like a charm.  The sense of atmosphere in particular is masterfully done (a sort of Tom Sawyer strays into Edgar Allan Poe).  My only complaint is that there isn't more of it, but apparently Bradbury already fixed that by expanding the story into Something Wicked This Way Comes. This raise...

My Broken Wings: The Platypus Watches Trinity Blood

My questions were not all answered.  That's par for the course when dealing with anime.  Most anime is based on manga.  That means that an immense amount of plot and character development from a 24+ volume series must be condensed into 24 30 minute episodes.  In many cases, the anime is produced before the manga is even finished.  Thus, not having a satisfactory conclusion to an anime series is par for the course.  Most times, I accept this and shrug it off.  In the case of "Trinity Blood," however, I found its incomplete ending oddly fitting.  Let me explain. "Trinity Blood" is chiefly about brokenness.  The ending song with its chorus of "my broken wings" gives it away.  The setting, a post-apocalyptic Europe, gives it away as well.  In fact, every one of the characters in the world of "Trinity Blood" is broken in some way.  We see a young Pope, broken by the political machinations of his older siblings.  We see a y...