The Platypus Reads: Part XXXI



Today's book is "Eifelheim," by Michael Flynn. Here's the down and dirty:

Aliens crash-land in 14th century Germany on the eve of the Black Death and are befriended by a reclusive scholastic.

What Flynn gets right:

The medieval worldview is presented in all its richness and Flynn renders Pastor Dietrich and his flock in a way that makes them feel three-dimensional and contemporary.

What Flynn misses:

Perhaps the sciences are a different story, but I kept thinking throughout the modern portions of the book that his academics don't speak or act like any of the academics I've known. I also have to confess a bias against Cliometrics. When I see a Cliometrician in a story, I have flashbacks to Jeff Goldbloom in Jurassic Park.

Closing thoughts:

If you like the middle ages or quirky sci-fi twists, this is your book. In spite of my dislike for the modern portions, I give it two thumbs up.

Comments

Joi said…
I LOVE Eifelheim. :) Though I agree about the modern parts--glad they were fairly short.

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII