Out on a Limb: The Platypus Reads Part LXXXIV

Disclaimer: I try as much as possible not to be political on this blog, so please read the following post in as non-partisan a light as possible.

I'm a member of the Torrey Honors Institute at Biola University.  We're a close-knit bunch over at Torrey.  I like to see what my fellow chums are up to and celebrate their successes and achievements as they find their places in the wider world.  In that light, I'd like to draw attention to Jonah Goldberg's "Proud to be Right: Voices of the Next Conservative Generation."  Now, fair warning, I found much in this book to agree and disagree with.  There's plenty is this book to get your blood boiling or elicit a hearty cheer (In spite of what the name suggests, it's not strictly a party-line book).  However, I want to mention "Proud to be Right" not so much for its politics as for the fact that four out of the twenty-two contributers to this collection of essays are Torrey chums.  Considering that the essays are drawn from political conservatives of all stripes across the nation, that's no small thing.  Roughly speaking, a fifth of the book belongs to THI!

So what's my bottom line?  If you're a member or friend of the institute, and don't have any moral or political qualms about funneling a few dollars Goldberg's way, then I suggest you pick up a copy and boost the sales.  The more copies sold, the greater the prestige for these four chums and the Institute.  If the thought of giving money to Goldberg or tying the Institute up with a particular political agenda makes you queasy, borrow a copy and see what they're up to.  Even when I found myself violently disagreeing with some of the essays in this book, the writing style was always engaging and the essays a pleasure to read.  Also, you can always make sure to draw attention to chums on the Left and other political persuasions.  It's a big world out there, and there's room enough in it for each member of the Institute to find a place and begin having an impact!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII