Seven Heavens of Summer Reading: The Platypus Reads Part XCVIII

Summer is here in all its heat (and humidity this year!) and languor.  Thus, it is time for the return of Summer reading.  Over Finals week I was able to complete (nota bene: this was all for professional development as well as personal enjoyment):

"When Athens Met Jerusalem" by John Mark Reynolds (2nd read)
"World War I" by John Keegan (friend and mentor of V.D. Hanson and third title I've read by the author)
"Civilization and its Discontents" by Sigmund Freud (filling in an important hole in my understanding of the 20th century)

On the ticket are:

"At the Back of the North Wind" by George MacDonald (been on a kick lately and even read a couple of bios)
"Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton (umpteenth readthrough for a reading group)
"Chaung Tzu" (the second great Taoist text)
"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaimon (thanks Liz!)
"War in Heaven" (2nd time for a reading group)
"The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang (been remiss in not reading this one)
"Alexander the Great" by Robin Lane Fox (a favorite historian)
"The Elfstones of Shanara" by Terry Brooks (it is time!  it is high time!)
"Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman (for work)
"Ghostopolis" by Doug TenNapel (showin' support for "Ratfist"!)
"Iron West" by Doug TenNapel (ditto)
"Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco (his panache won me over.  Thanks Joi!)
"Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson (reading group)
"Hannah Coulter" by Wendel Berry (ditto)

We'll see how much I get to and what surprises get added in along the way but it looks to be a fun ride.  I'll post my finished list with the appropriate awards come August.

So how about you?  What are your "Seven Heavens of Summer Reading"? 

Comments

Joi said…
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Eco book!!

Also interested in your thoughts on Elfstones: it's one of my favorites from the Shannara books.
Graf Spee said…
Sounds good. My reading list hasn't changed much. I'll post mine up on my blog. :}

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia