Summer Reading 2012

Tomorrow is the last day of classes and that means that it's time for the return of summer reading.  I'm planning on a follow-up to last year's "Summer of Shannara" by blogging my way through the Heritage of Shannara series (maybe they'll be better?).  There's also bound to be plenty of all things Greek with The Cambridge Companion to Homer, Memories of Odysseus, Spartan Notes, The Mycenaeans, Blackwell's Companion to Ancient Epic, etc. on the list.  The Greeks won't own the whole show as The Rape of Nanking and The Memory Palace of Mateo Ricci are also there to globalize a bit.  Tolkien certainly won't be left out as I happen to have gotten a nice critical edition of The Monsters and the Critics from some generous family friends as well as a copy of The Company They Keep from my wife.  Lewis is also on the menu with Sayer's biography as well as Gresham's Lenten lands and Lewis own Experiment in Criticism.  Back to the world of pulp, I also have a stack of Hellboy inbound so that I can make up for lost time.  As wild cards, there's always more Fritz Leiber and maybe some Tanith Lee (or a biography of Tennyson and some Camus).  I've just finished Doug TenNapel's Gear, but I don't know if that gets to count as Summer Reading.  Maybe it's just Finals Week Reading.

Anyhow, that's the prospectus.  As we all know, with Summer Reading things never turn out as you planned, but that's the fun of it.  How about you: any vacation time coming?  What's on your list?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII