Summer Reading 2018: The Platypus Reads Part CCCXVII

We're already past July 4th, and I haven't addressed the critical issue of Summer Reading. In part, that's because I'm applying to grad schools and six to eight hours of each week day is devoted to language study and catch-up reading. So, right now, most of my Summer Reading is Wheelock's and Hanson and Quinn.

Other things have managed to slip in, however. If you've been following this blog, you may have noticed the Neil Gaiman binge. It started with Troll Bridge, moved on to The Neverwhere, gained steam with The Sandman vols 1-6, The Dream Hunters and Overture, and finished up with Fragile Things and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. That's a lot of Gaiman!

To break up the flow of goth drama and tragic sexuality, we've also been listening to Stephen Fry read the Sherlock Holmes novels and doing our own read-through of Frank Herbert's Dune. We're looking forward to watching the Sci-Fi channels mini-series after we're done with that last one. There's always a little Lovecraft in the mix, so I'm also working my way through all the short stories listened in H.P.'s essay on weird fiction. Maybe it's also good that I'm reading the Vulgate and the Septuagint...

That's Summer Reading so far here at the Platypus of Truth. Every year it's been crazy and unexpected, and 2018 looks to be no different.

Comments

Gabe Moothart said…
Hi Jim! What program are you applying for?
James said…
Hi Gabe! Good to hear from you. I'm applying for my Phd. in Ancient History. Princeton and Stanford are at the top of the list right now and I'm looking for one or two more (deadlines are first week of December -I take the GRE August 10th). This is a real long shot, but from what the people I've talked to are saying, it's the way I need to play given my field, my age, and my time away from the game.

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia