Platypus Update

It seems that Life is getting the better of all of us these days and it's apparent that it's gotten the better of me from this blog. So... What's been going on. With Covid raging, grad school was a quick no-go. With all the time and money spent on trying to get in on top of the current crisis, that means that it's probably "two strikes and you're out" for me. That doesn't mean that I won't eventually have to do an M.A. as part of a career change, but the grand dream of a Phd. is out. That means I've ended up job-hunting in the middle of a pandemic with a wife whose job has moved online and requires additional child care. Right now, that's me. Oh, and I got parasites and ended up floored for five weeks and ended up having them blasted out of my guts with antibiotics that were almost as bad as the disease. Somewhere in there, my wife experienced a carjacking. The police caught the thieves, but not before they totaled her car crashing it into a police cruiser. Thanks to family and stimulus checks, she's finally getting a nicer replacement car this week. Oh, and baby is very healthy and curious except that she doesn't sleep. Did I mention Life seems to have gotten the better of us? Anyhow, that's why things have been slow around here. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you, especially those who've had a worse time of it than we have.

Comments

Gabe Moothart said…
Oh Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about the PhD. That is so disappointing.

But also... you have a baby?! Congratulations!
Anonymous said…
Hey Gabe, thanks! It was a bit of a long shot given that the field and its immediate neighbors are all in decline. I have two much younger buddies that got hit even harder with potentially years down the drain if the system doesn't correct itself in a year or two. The baby will be 2 in January. We tried to make sure everyone was in the loop but I'm so sorry the ball got dropped somewhere! -James

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia