The Platypus and Jack's son

So I just finished reading "Jack's Life", a biography of C.S. Lewis written by his step-son, Douglas Gresham. I highly enjoyed it, and learned a lot about a remarkable man. The book itself is rather odd. Critics can dismiss it as mere hagiography (c.f. the New Yorker's piece on C.S. Lewis). Having heard Gresham speak about it last Friday, though, I think it warrants much more attention. Douglas isn't trying to white-wash his step-dad's story, he's writing a spiritual biography of a man who changed his life. It's amazing and odd, but then again both Lewis and his stepson are rather odd. The rub of it is that there's something undeniable humbling about both men. Rarely do I encounter someone who makes so me immediately feel that I ought to sit down and shut up because I might learn something. Gresham is like that in person, and Lewis through his writing. Somehow, they're men who make you a bit humbler and a bit more human for having crossed their paths.

"Quid est veritas?"
It is before you.

Je suis sans mots. -and that's how it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII