More Platypus Updates

Finals are over, and with them the first half of the year. I've had to pick up an extra class along with the other upper school teachers since we haven't been able to fill the slot left by a teacher we lost earlier in the year. It's a pass/fail course for eighth-graders called "High-School Prep." The video series we're using is excellent, so it's definitely worth the kids time.

In other news, I've finished Machiavelli and plowed through Voltaire's "Candide. Both worth the read as two of the giants of emergent secularism. I'll be incorporating a survey them into my lectures. Right now I'm toying with a trip through Boswell's "Life of Samuel Johnson" or "The Diary of Samuel Pepys." Then again, maybe those can wait...

The added stress of an extra class has kept me from posting any deeper musings. Once I adjust, we'll hopefully get some. The Platypus' musings are always deep.

Comments

luminarumbra said…
If you haven't yet seen Pan's Labyrinth, you need to stop what you are doing and track it down in a movie theatre. You will love this movie, Jim.
James said…
Cool! That's the first positive review I've heard for it. =-)
luminarumbra said…
Honestly? Man, who have you been talking to? Here are some others:

http://comeaway.blogspot.com/2007/01/entering-labyrinth-i-just-went-to-see.html

That's Joi's.

http://classickiti.blogspot.com/2007/02/pans-labyrinth.html

That's Deb Price's.

For some reason, I haven't written one. Maybe I'm still in shock, even though it's been about a month since I saw it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia