Stange Platypus(es) Part X

In my dream, I came to a light and pleasant wood set amid hills of rolling green; and everywhere was the sound of water. Then I perceived that there was a host of men moving in ordered company along a forest path. Their hats were tall like church steeples and they were armed with gear of war that shone bright in the mid-morning sun. Across each silver breastplate was a crimson sash, and they sang gaily a song of new Jerusalem.

I spoke to the one who was with me, the one who was covered in eyes as a fish is covered in mail: "Where are these men bound, and why do they bear such harness of war and yet sing so gaily?"

The one who was with me answered; and his voice was like water passing over stones. "They are on a pilgrimage to seek the Holy City; therefore do they sing so gaily. Many trials and battles yet lay before them; and therefore go they armed. The Lord of the City shall see that not a one of those He called is lost. "

My heart was swiftly lifted and I spoke: "Then this is surely a most excellent thing!"

But the one who stood next to me grew grave: "Say not that until you know the end. Many a base deed is done in a noble cause, and many a noble deed done in a base." He saw that these words puzzled me and continued: "The highest cause cannot hallow a base deed, nor can the basest deed profane the highest cause."

I pondered what he said a long while before speaking. "What you say is good."

The one who was with me, who shone brightly at one moment and in the next was hidden in a cloud, responded: "How little all your race knows what these things mean!"

Then the dream passed, and I found myself lying in the shade of a gentle beech. I arose, and thought much on all that I had seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII