MMy students and I have reached "Balin and Balan" in our trek through Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." In this idle we find a demon knight terrorizing a haunted wood and sallying forth from a cave called "the mouth of hell." Great stuff for quest literature. Over the course of the poem it is hinted at that the demon knight may King Pellam's disaffected son, Garlon. The image and the name stuck in my head for some odd reason. It was only after something totally unrelated set me to thinking about my childhood that I made the connection. In the original Final Fantasy, the first quest that the Light Warriors face involves tracking a demon knight to a ruined, cave-like temple. The knight's name? Garland. It's probably a coincidence, but the connection intrigued me; two little bits of my childhood linking up and making a whole. Even stranger, several of my students have played that game in its re-release and would get the connection if I mentioned it. Good things get passed on.
I needed a break from A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (too many authors and too many styles coming in too fast) so I decided to turn back to an author whose work I've enjoyed exploring: Robert E. Howard. This time, however, I decided to skip over Howard's famous Conan yarns and instead take a look at one of his earlier creations, Solomon Kane. The idea of a puritan occult detective was too intriguing to pass up. I have the whole collection of Kane's tales and I do intend to blog them all. Right now, my little literary detour has only encompassed the first two short stories so I'm going to record my thoughts on them right away and get back to the rest as I have time. Skulls in the Stars Solomon Kane makes his debut with this classic bit of English Gothic including a haunted moor, a vengeful ghost, and a solitary miser. Howard's Kane fits the portrait of the archetypal puritan: grim, principled, metaphysical, with an iron sense of right and wrong. I h...
Comments