Platypus Troopers: The Platypus Reads Part LX


Some time ago, I set out to cover the major works of author Robert Heinlein.  Along with Isaac Azmov and Ray Bradbury, Heinlein set the standard for post-war science fiction.  I'm not big on sci-fi, but with a reputation like that, Heinlein's a "must-read."  Previously, I'd taken a look at "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Podkayne of Mars."  "Stranger in a Strange Land" is still on the list.  I've just finished "Starship Troopers" and so it's prime time for a review.

I think I've enjoyed "Starship Troopers" even more than "Podkayne of Mars" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."  The later is pretty hard to beat!  "Starship Troopers," however, seems to present Heinlein at his best: futuristic military fiction with a lot of arm-chair philosophy thrown in.  This, even more than the other works, cemented for me the title he earned during the sixties of "the dean of science fiction."

The main pleasure I derive from reading Heinlein is intellectual.  Sure, most of his philosophizing could be ripped to shreds by a Torrey junior, but it's still a pleasure to clash wits with "the dean."  Heinlein reminds me of nothing so much as an intellectual drill sergeant.  Mr. Dubois and his "History and Moral Philosophy" seems to be taken straight out of my freshman year of college.  The grizzled vertran that gets Ricco started down the path to the M.I. wouldn't be out of place heading up a Torrey discussion.  "You there, Mr. Jones, why should we give you the right to vote?"  Ah, good times...  The point is that Heinlein takes though seriously.  He really seems to believe that ideas have consiquences.  That's refreshing in this day and age; or in any day and age.

Well, daylight's burning and my thoughts seem a little broken, but there they are.  I'm sure there are more reasons to read Heinlein, but if what I've said has perked your interest, I would say that you won't regret it if you walk down to the bookstore and pick him up.  Alright you apes, on the bounce!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII