The Platypus in 2017

As Counting Crows tells us it's been one long December, but there's reason to believe maybe next year will be better than the last. I suppose by now I can say that I successfully got out of the canyon, Hollywood, and all that. So, aside from surviving Harvey, what occurred here at Platypus of Truth?

Well, for starters, this year has been the least productive of posts since I started blogging. There are some outside reasons for that: new job, shorter summer, travel to see relatives, Harvey. There are also internal reasons. Unlike previous years, 2017 wasn't given over to reviewing books so much as to learning how to watch film. A new discipline means more time spent on organizing my thoughts and less time spent on writing. 2017 also saw an uptick in artwork on the blog as I began attempting to work in new mediums, particularly digital ones. Finally, I spent the year barfing out a lot of bad Eliot as free verse seemed the best way to get my thoughts out. There were other kinds of writing too (Powerpoints, Greek study, notes on Rome and Egypt), but they all went into the job rather than the blog.

At face value, 2018 isn't promising to be any different from 2017. We all know that doesn't mean much. This blog has always been about whatever happens to be on my mind at a given time. It is in that sense truly a "web log"; a sort of public journal. That may make it eclectic, but it also keeps things fresh. After all, who can tell where thought may take us? So as we close down 2017, here's looking forward to new adventures in the next year at Platypus of Truth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII