A Poem For Jane Eyre: Creative Platypus

Jane Eyre

Before Mother was Mother
she hid with Bewick's Birds
behind the curtain
and was glad there
could be
no possability
of a walk to Friendly's

I learned to hide like her,
though for different reasons,
and Jane sat with me
behind the curtain that
shut the World out.

Mother, I met Helen Burns
at camp.
Her hair had fallen out, but
her face was glad, and she
turned to books for consolation.

Resurgam

I plowed the field of thorns
and if I was no good as
ploughman
at least I had a tongue inside
my head to furiously
insist that I am me.

"Oh why am I always to be
sent away!
At least here I have not
been trampled,
and if I was as beautiful
as a Northern European
I would make it as hard
for you to leave me as
it is for me to leave!"
I tried to tell them that
at the party
where we buried our
hopes and dreams in the
ashes of a haunted mansion.

Resurgam

I am as much a Man
as you
and will defend my right
to be the self
that God made me.
For all of Nature spins around
us in its sympathies
when one sinner accepts
The Offer to be Free.

Mother, I have so much
to learn, and the road is
very long
that leads from Gateshead
to the Garden
and Beyond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia