Penny Dreadfuls For A New Generation: Platypus Nostalgia


Square Soft's original "Final Fantasy" came out when I was just finishing up grade school. I learned about it in Nintendo Power and was intrigued by the idea. Part of the appeal must have been that I had just finished J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and was primed for anything dealing with the high-fantasy quest. Anyhow, I persuaded my parents to get me a copy a.s.a.p. Armed with detailed maps and the strategy guide, my friend Dennis and I set to work. We never actaully beat the game, but we got close, and our devotion to Square Soft was sealed.

I was at Blockbuster yesterday, and I noticed adds for yet another game in the now prolific Final Fantasy series. Judging from the screen shots, the series has come a long way from the land of split battle-screens and eight bit characters. I don't own any of the new systems and I rarely play video games any more. Still, it's good to know that the adventure continues, or as Tolkien put it "the road goes ever on and on."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia