T.S. Platypus: Strange Platypus(es)

Prufrock tells us that he has "measured out my life with coffee spoons."  I have measured out my life with blog posts.

With December coming on, we will soon witness seven years of "The Platypus of Truth."  Looking at the post history, it seems like 57 or so posts a year has been average.  2007 was a particularly bad year for posting.  2010 and 2011 have been better.  This seems to fit as in 2007 I was struck down with a particularly nasty medical problem that left me in constant and drastic pain.  In 2010, I moved to a much less stressful position in a more laid-back area of the country an experienced a corresponding relaxation of my symptoms.  Since 2006, posts have mostly been about whatever I was reading, playing, or watching at the time.  There have been a few forays into poetry and literature as well.  Readership has been modest with a few spikes where a post was fortuitously linked to by a popular site.

What does all this add up to?  Are these posts only coffee spoons counting out the meaningless hours of a pointless existence?  I don't think so.  Drinking coffee is fun, but it is merely an act of consumption.  Blog posts, even bad ones, are an act of creation.  Animals consume, but people create.  The posts of the last seven years have been, however mangled, an attempt at creation, an attempt at speaking the creative word into the inchoate silence.  In that sense, they are an imitation of the Trinity, or as Tolkien put it: "we make still by that law in which we're made."

Soli Deo Gloria   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII