New England Reflections (Cont.): The Platypus Travels Part XXXV

View of the Housatonic River from Indian Wells State Park.  We're here.

And as I pondered
By the pilgrim path
So many feet had trod,
Far away,
The daughters of the river god
Still sang:

Wei la lei
Wei la lei

I who have known Shepaug, and Pomperaug, Naugatuk,
I catch the good pastor's tears,
For his daughter's
Gone
To Kahnawake,
To La Prairie,
And will not return.

Wei wei la
Wei wei la la

I knew the little mill town when the
Robber baron smiled
He tried to sway me
Captain of industry
But I was a good girl
But I was a good girl

Wei la la
Wei la

O daughters of the river,
Tell me
For you know
And only
the rumor
Reaches me
In Babylon
In La Prarie:
Are the leaves still burning,
Burning,
              Burning,
Tell me, are the leaves still burning?
Can they teach me how to burn?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia