Unknown Kadath: Creative Platypus

*There's a little spoiler here for those who haven't read H.P. Lovecraft's The Dream Quest of Unkown Kadath, so reader beware!



The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is the first non-cosmic horror piece I read by H.P. Lovecraft. It's probably my favorite work by the Great H.P. I've tried to find pictures of the titular city but, alas, all the ones I can find online ignore Lovecraft's ending assertion that the city is based on Carter's Arkham.  This means that the architecture of the city is a Fantasia of New England styles.  The city Lovecraft had most in mind was probably his own native Providence.  To that end, my quick sketch of Unkown Kadath is based on various bits and pieces of New England architecture from Boston, Hartford, and Providence.  To put a word in for my own state, I still think that there's something other-worldly about the Connecticut State House's East Lake style as it rises up over Bushnell Park. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia