Chinese Platypus

No, there are no Platypi in China. Well, at least Platypi aren't native to China. So I'm down to my last paper. This one is on the Chinese response to European colonialism. I've been reading bios of Chinese reformers, revolutionaries, and treatises by Qing loyalists. Guess where the lion's share of my books are coming from? They're coming from Biola's library. The books evacuated from Biola's Chinese seminary are a snapshot of an age of intense turmoil and transition in China. Someone needs to do a serious scholarly study of that collection. It would actually be a meaningful contribution to the historical field. I guess Biola would have to find someone who speaks French and Chinese to get started though. French is as far as I've gotten and Latin and Greek have to come next. The Platypus speaks French. You can ask him about it the next time you see him...

Comments

Chris said…
Platypi...Jim, your choice in mascot is commendable if for no other reason than that it makes me laugh when I even think the word platypi.

Platypi. Ah.

Good to read your deep thoughts sir.
James said…
Welcome Chris. Good to see you!
luminarumbra said…
For someone who isn't much of a journaler, you seem to be doing pretty well with your blog. Mine averages a post a week, and I've been going for over a year now.

Heh, and you didn't *have* to actually use this blog to sign up for the Flinters one. You could have just deleted it after you got the invite.

But hey, you have an audience, and you seem to be having fun, so by all means, continue!
James said…
Oh! I didn't know I could just delete it! Well, I am having fun...

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia