Platypus in the Morning

Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my meditation.
Hearken unto the voice of my cry,
my King, and my God:
for unto Thee will I pray.
My voice shalt Thou hear in the morning,
O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer
unto Thee, and will look up.

Psalm 5, KJV

"Thee" is the familiar in KJV English. Something to think about next time you're singing an old hymn. The Platypus is particularly fond of Wesley. I agree and would add Isaac Watts, Jocham Neader (sp?) and Fanny Crosby (once a resident of Bridgeport CT) to the list. The Platypus agrees with that too, of course.

Comments

lasselanta said…
Interesting thought: when English still had the formal/familiar you/thou distinction, it was traditional to address both God and the king as "thou." Why? I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
James said…
Hmmm. For God, it's a sign of closeness, I would think. Perhaps there's a royal familiar (like the royal we)? I can see the Peers addressing the king as "thou" since they are also noble born...

Popular posts from this blog

The Platypus Reads Part XXVII

SNES as Money Well Spent: Platypus Nostalgia